Urban Systems has an immediate opening for a Civil Construction/Design Technologist or Engineer to oversee and provide construction inspection, contract administration as well as design support services for a variety of projects in the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley areas. Typical duties in this role will include:
- Inspect and evaluate road works, drainage facilities, underground utilities, and related construction elements to ensure that work quality and progress are maintained according to prescribed specifications, standards, and schedules
- Prepare daily and monthly reports of specific work performed including change orders, progress claims, field design changes, as-builts, etc.
- Assist project managers with contract administration and budget tracking
- Regularly liaise with contractors, stakeholders and project manager regarding status of project
- Coordinate inspection and site responsibilities by subconsultants
- Assist with design development of municipal and land development projects when not engaged in field services – this could include CAD production and drafting, record drawing preparation, tender and contract preparation, design development
- Grow into and work towards leadership and technical mentorship role to support our junior staff in field services delivery in the near and long term
- Coordinate inspection and survey for land development / municipal construction projects
- Ensure that field staff / site inspectors are fully supported on their projects
- Promote and instill a sense of teamwork amongst team members
As this position will support both our Surrey and Vancouver offices, there is the option to work out of either branch location.
Our goal is to find a multi-faceted technologist or engineer, with a strong interest and aptitude in both civil design delivery and construction services who would become a significant asset to our team. As part of our approach of “growing our own talent”, Urban is prepared to invest time and resources in the right candidate.
The requirement includes a minimum of 2 years’ experience in both design and construction services and the ability to leverage that experience to participate in, and in future lead our field services team in technical mentorship and coordination of resources.
Ultimately, we see our ideal candidate possessing the following skills, strengths and interests:
Field and Contract Experience
- A combined minimum of two (2) years direct on-site inspection services and design experience carrying out the tasks noted above specifically relating to municipal/civil engineering projects
- Ability to interpret construction documents, accurately perform standard construction related mathematical computations, review and interpret engineering data, and make sound decisions based upon the foregoing information
- Past experience in administering construction contracts including pre-construction process, record keeping, claim resolution, coordinating engineers and sub-consultant input, and project closeout
- Understanding of MMCD, CCDC and other applicable contract documents and formats relating to civil discipline construction
- Interest and previous exposure in writing and preparation of tender and contract documents
- Ability to perform quantity take-offs and construction cost estimates
- A proven communicator – both written and verbal
- Previous design/drafting involvement with CAD and/or Civil 3D tools
- Demonstrates ability and understanding related to general road and municipal servicing design
- Possess strong computer skills
- Good understanding of OH&S practices and requirements
- Has, or is interested in obtaining some surveying skills – level, total station and GPS
- Valid Class 5 driver’s licence and personal vehicle: The applicant must be mobile between the sites and office utilizing his / her personal vehicle and also have a willingness to occasionally travel to remote sites when the need arises
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, First Nations, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 400 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who are willing to learn and who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities;
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things;
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment;
- Ongoing career development and learning; and
- Meaningful rewards and recognition.
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).
Deadline for applications: Friday, November 24, 2017