Do you have a passion for building vibrant communities in the Okanagan?
Our thriving Kelowna team is looking for the next capable civil engineer to join us on our journey building vibrant communities in the Okanagan and beyond. Our team members enjoy working alongside industry leaders on exciting and challenging projects that make a visible difference in many communities across western Canada. You will be working with an experienced team of engineers and planners in a fast-paced environment on exciting projects, both large and small, that make positive impacts in our communities. Your abilities to engage and contribute are only limited by your own ambition.
In this role you will assist in the planning, design, and construction of several projects. We are looking for someone who has demonstrated experience, entrepreneurial drive, and passion:
- To support and lead the continued growth of our engineering practice in the local market including leveraging existing client relationships and identifying and generating new opportunities.
- To act as a client leader, developing and maintaining client relationships while strengthening our market position.
- To connect with and leverage the in-house expertise of our broader engineering practice and work in concert to develop client relationships and deliver project work.
- To support and provide technical leadership/oversight on our engineering project needs in the Okanagan market for a wide range of projects to ensure we are delivering high quality projects to our clients.
The right candidate for this opportunity will be registered, or eligible for registration, as a Professional Engineer with APEGBC. In addition, the following attributes and experience would be considered a great benefit to this role:
- You are well suited to consulting given your instincts for:
- Having the ability to listen to others to develop and nurture positive interpersonal relationships with people from varying backgrounds, including colleagues and clients
- Generating practical solutions to problems in a collaborative work environment
- Working hard to deliver value to communities
- You thrive in a self-directed work environment. You take initiative, are a problem solver, and continually deliver consistent, high quality work
- You are passionate about understanding key community dynamics and working closely with Indigenous communities and municipalities to provide innovative and ‘out of the box’ solutions
- You are able to demonstrate progressive project experience in general civil engineering including:
- Interface with clients, demonstrate firm's capabilities, determine clients' needs and prepare proposals based on estimated work-hours and firm's schedule of fees
- Lead preliminary and detailed engineering design for assignments including municipal utilities, drainage, site development, roads, and highways
- Act as engineer of record or project director for projects involving design drawings, specifications, cost estimates, schedules and tender documents
- Coordinate and participate in liaising with private and public sector clients, government approval agencies, Indigenous communities, utility companies and key stakeholders
- Direct, coordinate and expedite activities of a civil design team to achieve project objectives
- Review activities, costs, operations and forecast data to determine project team progress toward stated objectives
- Assign junior and intermediate personnel to various projects and monitor their progress
- Coordinate with project managers and various discipline engineers and ensure consistency in execution of civil design activities to complete project work on time, on budget and within the quality standards of the firm
- Guide and mentor junior and intermediate engineers and designers
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 400 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment
- Ongoing career development and learning
- Meaningful rewards and recognition
How to Apply
Please visit our website and apply on line by providing your resume and cover letter, along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our website under Careers). Please note that applications accompanied by a completed Candidate Questionnaire will be given preference.
Deadline for Applications: Friday, December 1, 2017