About the Opportunity
Water resources engineering is an integral part of our practice at Urban Systems, and we are looking for an experienced Water Resource Engineer to join our Kamloops team. In this role, you will benefit from the support of industry professionals while working on exciting and challenging water resource projects that make a visible difference in many communities. Assisting in the planning, design, and construction phases of projects, you will be given as much freedom and responsibilities as you demonstrate you are able to handle. In addition to the learning and project experience you will receive, you can expect to be responsible for the following:
- Developing your water resource engineering skills and your understanding of best practices in a practical, real world setting.
- Applying practical knowledge related to water resource, stormwater and drainage design and providing workable solutions to engineering problems on small scale and large multi-disciplinary projects.
- Preparing technical reports, plans, studies, proposals, and oral presentations.
- Preparing construction plan drawings, construction details, specifications, cost estimates and contract documents.
- Carrying out hydrologic and hydraulic modelling and the design of municipal and highway drainage systems, including ditches, culverts, pipe systems, inlets, spillways, and detention ponds.
- Understanding applicable regulatory requirements related to, for example, works in and about water, fish passage, and water licensing.
- Acting as our clients’ representative during construction of works to gather information, conduct inspections, and ensure that designs are built to specifications.
- Proactively and professionally communicating with co-workers, clients, contractors, regulators, and the general public.
- Demonstrating a commitment to learning through the ongoing achievement of personal and professional goals.
- Undertaking work in a way that satisfies our Organizational Quality Management requirements.
The right candidate for this opportunity will be a graduate with a civil engineering degree and a keen interest in all aspects of water resources, stormwater and drainage engineering. In addition, the following attributes would be considered a great benefit to this role.
- You have 5 to 10 years of progressive experience with an emphasis on drainage and water resources engineering and are either already registered with EGBC or are immediately eligible.
- You have a keen interest in pursuing a career in water resources engineering and working with all levels of government on surface water projects primarily in British Columbia.
- You have experience with hydrologic and hydraulic modelling tools, such as PCSWMM and HEC-RAS.
- You can manage multiple objectives at the same time and thrive in a self-directed work environment.
- You take initiative, are a problem solver, and continually deliver consistent, high quality work.
- You are well suited to working in a consulting environment with instincts for listening to and working collaboratively with other people of varying backgrounds and perspectives, providing practical solutions to
- problems, and working hard to deliver value to our clients.
- You are willing and able to travel to project sites throughout Western Canada.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 400 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
About Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities;
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things;
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment;
- Ongoing career development and learning; and
- Meaningful rewards and recognition.
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).