Urban Systems is seeking a passionate, experienced Civil Engineering Technologist to join our growing Vancouver Island practice. At Urban Systems, we are on a quest to build and support vibrant communities. You will aid in our quest as we focus on serving our clients through a network of inspired professionals who team up across many disciplines and locations throughout Western Canada to create meaningful solutions for communities.
The Island team comprises a mix of committed professionals who serve First Nations, local government, and private sector clients across a broad range of services and projects. Our local efforts are supported by colleagues, resources, and expertise available across the entire company. We are excited to work with someone capable and collaborative, who proactively contributes to our design and production team with purpose, enthusiasm, and a desire to serve our Island communities.
About the Opportunity
We are seeking a motivated individual with a consulting mindset who wants to learn and can appreciate the importance of strong client service. In this role, you will work alongside our Vancouver Island market leaders, based in Courtenay, in delivering infrastructure planning, design, and construction projects for First Nations and local government clients. You will also play a large role in translating high-level conceptual designs into preliminary drawings and all the way through to detailed design drawings for construction. The process involves working alongside our diverse team of engineering, planning and production specialists at each important step. You can also expect to be involved in:
- Carrying out design/drafting (AutoCAD/Civil3D), drawing production, cost estimating and quantity take-offs, and construction specifications for municipal and transportation projects;
- Communicating with Design/Production team members and project leaders across our multiple offices;
- Ensuring quality control and verifying accuracy of both design and drafting production work;
- Performing on-site resident site inspection for local projects;
- Supporting and mentoring junior technologists and engineers-in-training on design and CAD aspects; and
- Advising the team on technical problems and troubleshooting.
To ensure a successful launch, we will partner you with a coach, who will help you gain experience across the breadth of our interdisciplinary practice to become a successful consultant.
Our Island consulting practice is thriving, and we continue to grow our team to serve our clients here and elsewhere throughout the company. The conditions and accommodations around COVID-19 have helped to strengthen our resolve for client service. Now, as much as ever, our business remains in a very confident position. We believe that right now is an incredible opportunity for an aspiring technologist to join an award-winning workplace with a more prosperous growth trajectory.
Our ideal candidate will be a graduate with a diploma from a Civil Engineering Technology program, with 2 or more years of consulting experience providing design and drafting support services for land development, municipal, and/or transportation projects. The candidate should be registered or eligible for registration with Applied Science Technologists & Technicians of BC.
We are looking for a candidate that possesses the following technical skills:
- High proficiency in AutoCAD and civil design software including Civil 3D (required);
- Excellent drafting skills with good knowledge of drawing set-up and production;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and other MS Office software products;
- General knowledge of MMCD Contract documents and various design guidelines;
- GIS and modelling (WaterCAD, PCSWMM) experience an asset;
- Synchro analysis and traffic modelling skills and experience an asset; and
- Field experience is an asset.
In addition, you will possess the following skills, strengths and interests:
- Demonstrated strong business acumen and ability to confidently relate to our clients;
- Strong project management skills;
- Effective communication skills (technical, written and verbal);
- Ability to produce high-quality work under challenging circumstances;
- Ability to work independently and collaborate effectively with others;
- Commitment to ongoing personal and professional development.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned, inter-disciplinary consulting firm. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients, including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of 450 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We have become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique workplace culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities;
- A fun work environment, where hard work accomplishes great things;
- Great benefits and work-life balance;
- The opportunity to work with industry-leading professionals in a collaborative environment;
- Ongoing career development and learning; and
- Meaningful rewards and recognition
Due to COVID-19, our recruitment and onboarding processes will be conducted virtually. As we are an essential service organization, our offices are open, however, employees have the option to work remotely. If this describes your background, your skills, and your natural talents, please submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire online.