Interested in working with us? Let us know by viewing the current job postings below and applying online.
Tell us more about you
Please be sure to complete a candidate questionnaire and submit it along with your resume and cover letter. Please note preference will be given to candidates who submit a complete application with all three documents.
We’re proud of the work environment that we have created but appreciate that it won’t be the right fit for every talented person who comes along. For us, the key is finding people whose individual values match those of Urban. We know that when there is a good fit, great things can happen. By filling out the questionnaire, you provide us with another layer of information to help us make the right match.
Don’t see the right position for you? Send us your resume anyway by simply submitting your resume for general consideration or follow us on social media for regular updates on what’s happening at Urban Systems.
Use this form to perform another job search
The system cannot access your location for 1 of 2 reasons:
Permission to access your location has been denied. Please reload the page and allow the browser to access your location information.
Your location information has yet to be received. Please wait a moment then hit [Search] again.
About the Opportunity Our dynamic Calgary office is looking to hire a capable and enthusiastic Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Specialist to join the existing GIS team in providing excellent service to our clients in the Calgary region and beyond. Across Urban Systems, our GIS practitioners work alongside our engineering and planning professionals to produce high quality work in a fast-paced environment. This position will play a supporting role, and will work closely with, the existing GIS Specialist in Calgary as well as provide broader support to other Urban Systems offices across Canada. The position will be responsible for providing cartography and GIS technical support to multiple areas of practice including Land Development, Transportation, Planning, Water, Survey, and Environment. Typical duties may include:
- Create and maintain spatial and tabular information using a variety of software platforms
- Scripting and automation of GIS tasks
- Manage GIS portion of engineering or planning project (data management, GIS leadership, client contact)
- Perform basic spatial analysis and geo-processing tasks
- Conduct spatial data editing/maintenance
- Mobile mapping, web mapping, and web mapping customization
- Data editing and management
- Perform QA/QC tasks; refine data entry processes as required
- Create maps and graphical materials for presentation
- Develop and maintain documentation and metadata in line with corporate standards.
- Actively support our land development, municipal and Indigenous clients
- Assist with other GIS tasks as required.
About You Our preferred candidate has a certificate or diploma in a GIS related field and 3-5 years of related GIS experience. Preference will be given to those candidates who possess the following skills, strengths, and interests:
- Proficiency with a variety of GIS concepts, practices, and procedures
- Proficiency with the use of ArcGIS for Desktop and other spatial data tools
- Aptitude for creating high-end cartographic & graphical products
- Proficiency with GIS programming and scripting languages (Eg. Python)
- Passion and aptitude for applying technology to solve problems
- Effective communicator (both written and oral)
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work closely with a diverse team of professionals
- Ability to work in both a team environment and independently on longer term projects
- Attention to detail and strong work ethic
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment
- Computer competency in Windows environment with a focus on Excel and file management
About Us Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 400 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes. Our Commitment to You At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment
- Ongoing career development and learning
- Meaningful rewards and recognition
How to Apply If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and covering letter along with a completed Candidate Questionnaire (available for download on our site).